Skyros, Greece

Athens Weather forecast © weather-wherever.co.uk

Saturday 2 July 2011

A Book Signing - Skyros Style! By Jane Salvage

Ever been to a book launch? Like me, are you thinking London glitterati, flowing champagne, fancy canapés and signing a pile of books with a posh fountain pen? Now think again - of how a book launch at Skyros might be. The champagne has turned to retsina, the canapés are stuffed vine leaves and the glitterati are wearing bikinis and shorts.

This is the scenario I’m pic
turing for the launch of my new book, Skyros: island of dreams, at Atsitsa in July. Six instalments from it can already be downloaded at www.skyros.com, but my printed copy has only just rolled off the press. Call me old-fashioned, but websites and Kindles can never match the thrill of slipping a new unread book into your beach bag.

So I’ll be at Atsitsa for the end of session AT8 (July 10) and the beginning of AT9, to talk about the book, tell a few stories and hopefully sign a mountain of copies for my new readers.
This launch has been a long time coming.

I’ve been visiting Skyros for 20 years as a participant, journalist, course teacher and tourist. As I thought about what it meant for my personal journey, and how my visits had enriched my life, I realised that the amazing story of the Skyros organization had never been fully told, let alone the stories of the people who went there. So I thought I’d give it a go.


Skyros has of course starred in innumerable articles, TV shows and novels, but never before in a full-length book. Skyros: Island of Dreams is based on my independent research and personal experience, with fascinating interviews and contributions from participants, staff and teachers. I hope it will be enjoyed not only by previous and potential Skyros participants, but also by anyone interested in personal growth, creativity and the future of our planet.


I’ve explored the island’s extraordinary history, geography and culture so it’s a also a guidebook. And as an added incentive – if you are a Skyros facilitator or a past participant, you might find yourself in the book! It’s packed with photos as well as stories, some of them pretty revealing… especially page 145...

Skyros: island of dreams by Jane Salvage is published by the Skyros Foundation (2011) and costs £7.99


To order your copy, call 01983 86 55 66, or take a holiday out to Skyros island and pick up a copy in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment