Skyros, Greece

Athens Weather forecast © weather-wherever.co.uk

Wednesday 7 July 2010

Home from home by Simon Luscombe

You know, I have grown to appreciate this beautiful island of Skyros and particularly the Skyros Centre.

Even after spending time at the much imagined and, possibly, envied Asitsa Bay, where many new friends had chosen to spend their holiday/course.

When I went to Atsitsa this weekend I thought how wonderful it was; the rural setting, the peacefulness and the relaxed atmosphere.
I enjoyed the company I had met on the transfer over to Skyros; the beautiful sunset and of course the incredible singing that we enjoyed with the Asitsa group.

I was fortunate to stay over the night, along with Chrissie, the creative writer facilitator, I must say in some very comfortable huts and not the dreaded dorms that I had expected!


The following day we enjoyed (not endured) the walk across the island, back to Skyros Town. This certainly put me, for one, more in touch with the landscape and nature of the island.

I wasn't prepared though for the feeling of being back home in Skyros Town. I was so happy to be back in civilisation, to be back amongst the white washed walls, the cafés and bars of the high street, busyness of the town and of course the friendly faces of the Greek people in Skyros Town.

Most of all though it was nice to be back at the Skyros Centre, which now feels like home. No small thanks to Julian, Hazel, Sarah-Helena, Susie, Suzie, Chrissie, John and not least the two wonderful cooks who provide us daily with such lovely food, all who have created a home from home atmosphere.
This is a very special place and I, for one, am glad that I chose to spend my break here amongst such lovely company.

Simon Luscombe

Simon attended the Life Choices programme at the
Skyros Centre, on Skyros island, Greece. See www.skyros.com or call 01983 865566 for a Skyros brochure. At the Skyros Centre, you can choose either the Life Choices or Writers' Lab programme. Holidays at the Skyros Centre also include yoga, massage and music and arts activities and the current season runs until Saturday 2 October.

No comments:

Post a Comment